Don Bosco Technical School had its humble beginning in 1922 for technical education of poor youth from remote villages of North East India. Over the years the Institution has changed its outlook towards training activity that it has been conducting. Every corner of North East India will know of the contribution that the Don Bosco Technical School has shared in education. For many years Don Bosco Technical School was the center for education for poor youth of North East India.
The institution has many past pupils who are very eminent personalities to its credit; most of them came from poor families and have climbed the steps of success through the corridors of Don Bosco Technical School.
In 1977, the institution was affiliated to National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT), New Delhi although the Gvt. of Meghalaya recognized the diploma certificate issued by DBTS from 1972 onwards. The trades which were accredited to NCVT were Electrician, Wireman, Carpentry, General Mechanic, Motor Vehicle, Fitter, Turner, Hand Composing, Shoe making, Tailoring and Black Smith. However, with the advancement of technology Hand Composing, Shoe making, Tailoring & Blacksmith trades were removed from the NCVT affiliation and Electronics (Radio & TV) and Desk Top Publishing were added. Presently we have 7 trades for formal ITI training and 12 trades for which Non-Formal training is given.
In 2009 the Institution introduced MES (Modular employable Skills) program of short duration training in which an under matric (non-formal) trainee can obtain Gvt. of India certificate. Added to that with the assistance of DBTech network DBTS has taken up new way of catering to the BPL categories of youth under the sponsorship of MoRD (Ministry of Rural Development) for three months training program in automobile, Electricals.
Over these years it is noticed that the institution has played a major role in shaping the lives of poor youth of NE region in the field of technical education. We are also proud that the people at large hold in high regard this center of vocational training and value our contribution for the enhancement of underprivileged youth. We thank God for being with us all these years and Saint John Bosco for inspiring us.
Brief History and Bio data of DBTS
Salesians of Don Bosco took over from the German Salvatorian missionaries the press and other activities. Technical training included Press, shoe making, Carpentry and Tailoring. Later other departments like Machinist, Motor mechanics were started. These were conducted together with general academic studies, as there were no such facility elsewhere. The courses lasted for 5 years
Origins of of a small printing press at Laitkynsew, 70 km away from Shillong, by German missionaries and the total destruction of the wooden structure in the earthquake of 1897
The press restarted at Shillong with the addition of an orphanage. World War I forces the departure of the German missionaries.
machine were modernised
Construction of a new building
Government of Meghalaya recognizes 9 trades imparted at Don Bosco